Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Trial Transfer

So we had our trial transfer today. Basically, they just go in to my down-there-area, thread a cathedar through my cervix and measure the length and angle of my uterus. Apparently, they've had transfers where they've had trouble putting the cathedar through, so they want to know ahead of time if there's going to be any issue. Everything was fine with me - we're looking good.

The process itself was a little jarring and left me feeling a little emotional at the end. Normally, there's just Dr. Love 2.0 and a nurse. This time, there were 2 nurses - one of them was in training. This process required an abdominal ultrasound, rather than the v-hole cam (thank you Liz Feldman to this wonderful addition to my vocabulary). So, I'm laying there, in stirrups as Dr. Love 2.0 grabs a speculum and begins to jack me up like an old Ford, and nurse-in-training lifts the kleenex which is covering me and proceeds squeeze ultrasound-goo all over my tummy. All of this happened in a flurry of about 10 seconds. I know they're doctors and they see this all the time, but I depend on that kleenex to cover my lady parts and stay-put. I'm pretty modest by nature and I would have liked a little bit of a warning that exposure was imminent.

It was just all so quick and there were so many people all over me - I just felt overwhelmed and weepy afterwards. I was just struck by the magnitude of what everything that we are subjecting my body to in order to get pregnant. The medication - each invasive procedue one after another - it's alot to handle, emotionally and physically. I feel like I'm working so hard to feel hopeful and optimistic about being on the IVF-train that I forget about how much shit we have to go through to get there.

Whatever - at least the whole thing went well with positive results.

3 comments:

Lizzie said...

After my second HSG I felt very violated and very exposed, for some of the same reasons. I'm sorry you were weepy and feeling vulnerable. I'm excited that you are so much closer to being pregnant, though! And glad it went 'well' with no complications.

Anonymous said...

You are very strong and I truly hope it's not long til your BFP.

- Strawberry

Anonymous said...

Its amazaing how such a little procedure can loosen all sorts of feelings.