Monday, August 18, 2008

Another Sunny Day

C and I threw a little wedding reception at our house this weekend. We got married in July, and it was a very informal little thing at the courthouse. Neither one of us is very comfortable with gobs and gobs of attention, so the idea of a big to-do was not at all appealing.

We did, however, want to throw a little party at our house and invite a few friends. It was a casual, backyard cocktail party and couldn't have been any nicer.

The weather was perfect, food was delish, my itunes playlist was impecable and everyone was in great form.

Our friends pooled together on a gift and presented us with a VACATION! I'm still shaking my head over the generosity of it. There really aren't any details - they told us to pick something and they'll pay for it! Unbelievable!

The ringleaders of this are friends of ours from work who know about our TTC journey. After the last BFN and as the emotional aftermath started to set in, these folks strongly recommended that we take a vacation before setting out on IVF. C and I talked about it, and neither one of us felt good about the prospect of spending money on a vacation right before dropping thousands and thousands on IVF, so we decided to push it off. It was a really tough decision, we haven't taken a real vacation in about a year and a half. After the last BFN, which almost seemed harder than the m/c, all I wanted to do was go sit on a beach somewhere and turn my brain off for a week, but I just couldn't get down with spending the money.

Yesterday, I began the IVF medication cycle so we're still looking at a few months before we'll be able to cash in our gift certificate, but I'm truly humbled and overwhelmed by the gesture. I don't want to ever loose sight of how lucky I am. I'm lucky to live in this country where I have freedom and opportunity, I'm lucky to live in California where I can get marriend AND get to see the ocean everyday, I'm lucky to have found the perfect woman for me - the best person I've ever met, and I'm lucky to have a network wonderful, generous, supportive friends. Sometimes, it feels like way too much luck for one person.

Peace to all.

3 comments:

Pufferfish said...

That really is an incredible gift! What amazing friends. I hope that the IVF cycle goes perfectly and you're both able to spend some time on a peaceful sandy isle somewhere with a little babe growing along inside. Good times.
Thanks for your kind words.

Lizzie said...

Incredible friends! Yay for all the blessings in your life.

Heather said...

wow, what an awesome gift!! You better use it!

A good network of friends goes a long way, I'm glad that you are blessed with an amazing one.