Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Real Dr. Love

Sorry for the lack of posts lately. Work has been crazy in the week that I've been back from vacation. I've been saying for a while that taking time off is the corporate equivalent of cutting. Doing it makes you feel alive but coming back is more painful than you can imagine and will make you vow that you'll never do it again.

I'm not sure if I have anything new or interesting to say about the election, specifically Prop 8. I've been angrier than I expected and that anger has lasted longer than I anticipated. There were a number of times when I was in my car, listening to the latest on the protests on the lawsuits and I'd feel myself bubbling with rage. Almost always, the Prop 8 stories were followed by reports from what's going on in the Congo right now. Children as young as 9 and 10 being killed village to village so they won't be recruited as soldiers. My rage was almost always turned into a weak attempt to be thankful for being born in this country despite it's flaws and that things could be so much worse. That would last for a few minutes, until I'd remember that just because California isn't the Congo doesn't mean that what's happened isn't unjust and bullsh.it and then my rage would flare up again. It's tough being a Libra.

We had our first appointment with our regular OB today.

I. LOVE. THIS. MAN.

He is exactly what we needed. He has the best bedside manner I have ever experienced. He's really open - talked alot about himself what led him to practice medicine (the death of his father at an early age) and the kind of environment he wants to create with his patients. He was so respectful of our relationship and went out of his way to make us feel not just comfortable but that WE were the type of patients he wanted. He had pictures of lesbian couples and their babies all over the office. All of his paperwork was written to be inclusive of our community. He was also really touchy. He gave us both two hugs during the appointment. After all of the science and statistics we dealt with in trying to get pregnant - I'm definately ready for some touchy-feely.

He said that the baby looks perfect. Our next appointment is in a month, but he said that if we start to feel nervous before then and just want to hear the heartbeat - to call them up and they'll fit us in. Dreamy.

One thing that he mentioned that I'm looking forward to learning more about, he said that he strongly suggests that we store the cord blood after giving birth. He said that it's an investment but one that he thinks is worth it for couples working with donor sperm. He said that he's confident that the Obama administration will pave the way for more research in this area and that the storage could prove invaluable for certain illnesses that may arise. Not only will the cord blood work with this baby, but it can also work with siblings. Is anyone else out there considering this?

We're in our 10th week and feeling really good.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is all so wonderful. Hopefully we can get the state to be as real about your family has your doctor is.

Anonymous said...

My Libran prop 8 rage followed by calm has been working overtime too.Now I am just feeling insulted and pity the stupidity that helped pass that pile of crap. Now, enough of that! Congrats on a wonderful doctor. How nice to have someone so respectful and warm caring for you. Not that we are even close to doing it, but we will bank cord blood. I would much rather spend a little bit of money up front, just in case, G-d forbid!

Anonymous said...

Yay for a fantastic appt and a perfect 10 weeker!!

Pufferfish said...

Glad your back from vacation with great DR. appts, but I'm sorry coming back to work was so stressful. We all hate that part.
Sounds like a fab Doc and I hope every appt goes so well!

Anonymous said...

Your first paragraph has me roaring... I can totally relate to the malaise caused by a return to work. Sometimes I think it's easier just to not go on vacation at all.

Your doc sounds awesome!

(I moved you to the BFP category :)

mommyof2 said...

Regarding the cord blood banking...

Hopefully, there's never a need for the blood, but storing it is a form of health insurance and we didn't want to regret our decision down the road.

We compared ViaCord and CBR and ended up selecting CBR. I called them with a list of questions and I liked their answers. CBR was our OB's recommendation as well.

We initially thought cord blood banking was out of our price range, but we set up a gift registry at CBR and let our family and friends help defray the expense by contributing. Also used the $250 coupon from
http://cord-blood-banking-coupon.com

Best wishes!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that doctor sounds awesome!