Sunday, January 4, 2009

17 Weeks

I'm sorry for the lack of posts and especially for the lack of comments. Between the holidays and my lingering first-trimesteritis - I haven't been up to too much posting.

Tomorrow we'll be at exactly 17 weeks. While I think I might be in the second trimester in terms of symptoms - I'm having kind of a first trimester day complete with naseau and fatigue. As a result of the nice long weekend, I've taken to sleeping a little bit later than usual. This morning I slept until almost 9:00 which is pretty much unheard of. After getting out of bed and putting on my socks, I had run down the stairs to get myself to some food. I was gagging and dry-heaving as I was pouring myself some cereal - 9:00 am is just way too late to wait for food. I think I'll be happy to return to my early schedule tomorrow.

The holidays were nice for the most part. My parents and sister came out from Chicago. My mom and sister went bat-shit crazy with baby presents. I have asked them to take it easy when it comes to purchases, but they are completely ignoring me and buying just about everything that Bab.y Ei.nstein makes. I wish they weren't doing it, but this will be the first baby on my side of the family, so I shouldn't take the experience away from them. I'd list out all of the things that they bought, but the list is truly obscene.

The piles and piles of stuff that my family bought made us realize how much room this baby is going to take up and how pack-ratty we've become. The New Year's weekend has been spent doing deep spring cleaning and serious thinning out of all of our crap that we've held on to since buying this house. It felt really good to get rid of so much stuff and it's nice to know that we actually DO have storage! We were able to do the entire upstairs. Later this month, my mom is coming out again and we'll tackle the kitchen and the garage - the two biggest shit-stacks in this house.

I've decided that I'm going to take C's last name. We were thinking about hypenating, but after mulling it over for the past few months, I decided that I think things might just be easier for us if we've all got the same simple last name. I think there's a chance that we'll struggle in some way with the idea of 'traditional family' and having the same simple last name might make it just a little bit easier. We were at a wedding earlier this year and the bride's sister gave a toast during which she said that it didn't hit her that she was loosing her sister until she realized that they wouldn't have the same last name anymore. I never really thought about it up until that point. Last week, I went to the county clerk's office and picked up a copy of our marriage license, which thankfully we're still able to get, took it over to the Social Security Administration office and filled out some paperwork. I should have a new SS card in about a week and then I can change everything else. This was so much easier than I thought it would be.

Tuesday is our next OB appointment and we're hoping to find out whether we're having a boy or a girl. Yay!

Happy New Year to everyone!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you posted, I was worried! The time is flying and I am so happy everyone is healthy.Thanks for sharing the name change story. I thought it would be harder than that so I have been putting off.

A said...

I'm not in a state that allows gay marriage, but I did change my last name. I took my partner's last name almost 7 years ago through the court and I'm really glad I did. You will be happy. You are living the American dream. Marriage & baby. What could be better. :)

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear the news on tuesday!!!

Anonymous said...

I went through the same thing, admittadly with a man, but it was a big thought process for me. I enjoy having his name, suprisingly for this die hard feminist, and when I've been in the emergency room with my various bleeding episodes, there hasn't been a hassle.
At least we know you'll post next week. ;-)

Anonymous said...

wow, i can't believe you are 17 weeks already! time flies!

can't wait to hear your news tomorrow!

Heather said...

I can't wait till tuesday!! whoO!!