Friday, July 25, 2008

Up To Speed

Here's what has transpired:

July 2007 - C and I start meeting with doctors to begin the babymaking. C has absolutely no desire to give birth. I'm game - so it's going to be me getting the hot turkey baster injection. We were lucky enough to meet a couple in town who recommended a fertility practice. We really wanted to try inseminating without any medication, so we ended up making an appointment with a doctor recommended by our ob/gyn. Our first thought was to start in 2008 so that I could sign up for an FSA plan at work and take advantage of some savings. We start charting.

November 2007 - My family is coming out for Christmas - I think to myself - wouldn't it be cool to give my mom a perfect Christmas by getting pregnant! We order the sperm - put it on ice at the doctor's and begin the OPKs. We inseminate - it feels hopeful and ultimately results in a chemical pregnancy. I know I'm an ass to be upset about it not taking on the very first try - but I was.

December 2007 thru Febraury 2008 - We kind of got dicked around by this doctor's office. Every single time I ovulated - the office was closed. After the third month in a row of a wasted cycle, we embarked on finding a new doctor. We decided to go with the fertility practice recommended by friends. Upon walking into the office for the first time, we knew that we made the right choice. This practice is top notch.

April 2008 - after several ultrasounds, a dye-test and blood work - we are ready to rock and roll. I get my period and begin taking Follistim. After about 5-6 days of Follistim (about 75 mg per day) I take an ovidril injection to induce ovulation and go in on the next two days for IUI (2 vials over two days) . The Dr. estimated 2 eggs released. After the insemination, I begin taking progesterone 3x per day - 200 mg each time.

May 2008 - We test positive and are thrilled. We were really cautious to not tell anyone that we were trying. We did break the news to our families and very close friends. My mother proceeds to tell every single person she's ever met.

June 2008 - Miscarriage. It's an understatement to say that we were disappointed, but ultimately, we felt lucky to have gotten pregnant in the first place. We feel that this bodes well for the next attempt.

June 2008 - We try to inseminate the very next cycle, but due to the follistim, I've got a dominant follicle that wouldn't allow other follicles to develop. Dr. advises to scratch this cycle, we'll go back next time.

July 2008 - I get my period - we begin again. Another course of follistim, followed by ovidril, followed by progesterone and a whole host of bigger, stronger pregnancy symptoms. We got the BFN news last Saturday - still hard to believe - I was 100% convinced that we were pregnant. In many ways it felt worse than the miscarriage. At least with the miscarriage, there was hope. With this, there is nothing. We are going back in on Monday to talk to our Dr. about whehter or not to go more aggressive.

4 comments:

Eva said...

Wow. It seems as if you gals have been through a lot. Hang in there. The TTC can be such a hellish roller coaster ride.

Lizzie said...

Welcome to the blogworld. Love the title of yours. Hope you get a BFP very quickly ....

Pufferfish said...

Ha, your title is soo Southern California "L Word"!! Love it!
Just found your blog and it looks like you've been at this for about a year now in one way or another.
I hope it gets easier for you.

PS-Curious as to why you went immediately to follistim injections and skipped the normal route of Clomid?

Les Make Babies said...

Hi travelher and pufferfish - thanks for visiting and thanks so much the comment.

We went right to injections at the recommendation of our doctor. In their research, they have found that women over 35 are about 10% more likely to conceive while using clomid and about 20% more likely with injections.