Monday, July 28, 2008

Baby Let's Have A Baby Before Bush Do Something Crazy

Just got back from our consult after an unsuccessful IUI attempt. Our optimistic mood was immediately subdued when we were informed that our doctor, Dr. Love, is no longer with the practice. Her contract expired over the weekend. We’ve interacted with the other two doctors and they are both great – but we were especially fond of Dr. Love. She was funny, had great bedside manner and really handled us well. I still feel like we’re in great hands, but it was a bit of a blow.

Now I’ll have to figure out new code names.

I think we’re going to bite the bullet and proceed with IVF. The amount of money that this will cost makes me want to vomit. Does anyone else struggle with the spend issue? If so, what exactly do you struggle with? I think the part that makes me feel dizzy is the no-end-in-sight piece. The thought of shelling out several thousand more dollars on IUI cycles only to be faced with the very real possibility that we’re going to inevitably have to take the next step and go IVF makes me just want to get it over with. Have you guys figured out, for you, what’s a family worth? What dollar amount feels appropriate? Have you guys determined your walk away point? C and I are different when it comes to money – she is more comfortable moving forward with big financial commitments and I tend to toss them around a bit more. I don’t know if I know the definitive answers to these questions for us. It’s hard to come up with a walk away point when I’ve convinced myself that I need to be thinking positively every single moment of the day that our next attempt will be a success.

Props to The Coup for today's title

4 comments:

Lizzie said...

our plan is currently (it changes all the time) 6 IUIs, then we'll consider more, perhaps IVF. we are constantly weighing the financial aspect of this and it is more painful and stressful than i could convey. right now we have no infertility coverage on our insurance. we are looking at ways to change that ....

Heather said...

Wow. That is a big choice to make, we did 2 tries (IUIs at home and at the RE)..after that we waiting a while, almost 2 years and decided that we really wanted to try again! We found a new clinic (much better than our old one) and started our IVF process rather quickly. I'm realizing how lucky we are that Laurie's insurance covers the cost of everything (even the sperm) and we only pay co-pays...So, I'm really unable to help with the finacial aspect of IVF.. However, Its not that bad and its possible that you only have to do it once if you get lots of follies that fertalize and grow big and strong and are freezeable. Then you just do FET's (frozen embryo transfers) from that point on if you need to.

If you have any questions, shoot us an email.. :)

Anonymous said...

hey-- thanks for your comment and for leading me to your blog. I think the issue of money is a huge and really stressful one. We are lucky to live in MA (which is the only state in the US that mandates fertility coverage), but the process has still been very expensive for us (we had to pay out of pocket for the first six months). Even now that my insurance has kicked in, we still have to pay for sperm. It has been an expensive ride so far.

Although we are in different situations, I would say that IVF (with its high success rates) is probably worth a shot, but only you can determine how far you are willing to go. I'm so sorry to hear about your miscarriage-- I had one in February, so I know how hard that is. Hang in there-- you'll get where you are going.

Anonymous said...

One thing that helped me cope with thinking about the cost of IVF without hyperventilating was to think about the kind of crap that other people spend that kind of sum on - new tits and some liposuction; a new car; a holiday somewhere exotic. I'd rather have a baby than any of that.